Knowledge and science are the words that are often said by the academia in this era. The buzzword is believed to hold virtue. To promote both these two key components, the Government established the National Centre for Scientific Documentation/Pusat Dokumentasi Ilmiah Nasional(PDIN) on June 1st 1965. PDIN is one of the Centres managed under the auspices of the Indonesian Institute of Sciences/LIPI.
In the next 21 years, in meeting the demands of a more adaptive organization, PDIN transformed its name to Centre for Documentation and Scientific Information/Pusat Dokumentasi dan Informasi Ilmiah(PDII-LIPI).The word information was added with a purposive meaning namely to head into a progressive mode.
The vision of PDII-LIPI is to be the leading institution in the field of Documentation and Information in an effort to build a society based on certain values, i.e. justice, intelligent creative, integrative and dynamic, and also a knowledge, humanistic technologically-based society. Whilst the mission of PDII-LIPI is to provide services, research and development in the field of scientific documentation and information.
PDII-LIPI has the main task to provide guidance and services in the field of Scientific Documentation and information in line with the policy set by the Head of Indonesian Institute of Sciences. In the framework of realising this main task, PDII conducted three main activities; they are as follows, documentation services, information services, guidance and development in the field of documentation and information.
Documentation is carried out on a computerized basis through the development of a bibliographic database to facilitate an enabling environment for access of information. The existing database covers monograph, proceeding, thesis, research reports, Integrated Competitive Research, article of scientific journals in Indonesia, seminar paper and patent information.
The development of a database using the software application of WINISIS that stands for Computerised Documentation System/Integrated Set of Information System, (CDS/ISI) windows version.
Besides the printed version, PDII also promote the preservation of documentation materials by transferring them into other media such as microfiche and microfilm, especially for articles concerning Indonesia. PDII has indeed an adequate facility, and experienced for many years to handle this activity.
The activity of documentation services that are carried are as follows; the follow up of trend in scientific literature and the effort put to attain these. The documentation is then managed and prepared in the form of a database and the said database literature is compiled and accessible in the net work of global information or internet.
In an orchestrated effort to reach out users, especially those who yet accessibility in the said network on a sustainable basis, PDII-LIPI publishes secondary literature as follows: index of abstracts, main catalogues, etc.
The activity of scientific information includes all effort to provide the information need of users. This is fulfilled either by means of cooperation with relevant parties or by PDII-LIPI itself. In doing this PDII-LIPI attempts to dig out sources of information available in the existing collection and accessing the various databases abroad through the internet.
There are an assortment of services in scientific information provided by PDII-LIPI, namely to name a few, , library activity, scientific information packaging activity services, information technology services, exact science information services and industrial and information engineering services.
PDII has a library dedicated for users coming directly to its offices to take advantage of the available facilities. For those with a limited time, effort in finding information in a timely manner and wished to find a suitable and ready to use information, PDII provides several forms of packaging of information based on needs or tailor-made. They are as follows:
1. Agro-Industrial and Industrial Technology Information Package.
This is a compilation of selected scientific information containing a review of the development or process of a specific field.
2. Business guidance for beginners who will star out home industry or small industry.
3. Industrial Tree that are dedicated for entrepreneurs to carry out and develop a diversification of product that has an economic value.
4. Digital Media comprised of various packages, namely:
• Database from the retrieval result, information compiled in the form of database enabling it to be retrieved, added and integrated with other database.
• Specific information analysis in a digital form, information compiled in a certain topic and in certain period of time.
5. An actual information bulletin, PDII published analysed information from various publishing regarding a certain topic that is up to date or an issue in the contemporary society.
• Science and Technology Information, information presented in the form review of the existing research results that could contribute in providing a solution.
• The Indonesian Information Focus in 16 Fields, prepared for the scientific society wishing to stay in touch with the recent developments of information in science and technology in Indonesia on a sustainable basis. This information is available in the form of abstract compilation.
6. Integrated Competitive Research reports packaging in the form of Technological Offerings, Tracking of Reports and Abstracts of the reports.
7. The creation of a research database regarding traditional knowledge, traditional medicine, natural colouring substances, and traditional tools for farming in the region West Java.
The main object of the activity in providing guidance and development in the documentation and information at PDII-LIPI are as follows: information resources, infrastructure and information system, be they are available at the Indonesian Institute of Sciences or in a wider society.
The research conducted covers research to find an effective and efficient means to upgrade the capacity and performance of PDII-LIPI through concept-building and science mapping,. The products of these activities are, to name a few, scientific publication, research reports, journal articles, seminar papers and books.
The research and developments that had been carried out are as follows: knowledge management with a study case of Jambu Mete, the implementation of Knowledge management in organization, study of documentation policy, mapping of science and technology with a case study of the field in anthropology and exact science.
In an effort to realize the aforesaid activity, PDII-LIPI is supported w by 150 employees. 45% of the employees are specializing in librarian, archivist, researcher, planner, public relation, and human resources analyst and computer specialist. The rest of them are technical support staff in the field of reprographic, micrographic and telemathic as well as administrative staff.
In this competitive era PDII-LIPI aims to not only look back on what it has achieved but also to aim higher, aiming for the best.
In this competitive era, the planning of the future at PDII-LIPI has been focused on the effort to upgrade and augment or service quality. This is not limited to maintaining its present achievement, because the paradigm of user’s satisfaction had been constantly changing from time to time.
Hence, the work of PDII-LIPI in the future has become more challenging due to the diverse range of users that needs to be serviced also due to progressive acceleration of the transformation of information technology. This has triggered awareness in the matter of service of information and technology.
However these are not to be seen as hurdles, PDII-LIPI has been persistently foreseeing these as a challenge, an element that can motivate and propelled to step a head.
It is indeed undeniable that in this globalization era, every institution focusing in the field of documentation and information must pave its steps with tactfulness. PDII-LIPI has successfully fulfilled this challenge and is ready to embrace the digital era.
Latest posts by Budi Nugroho (see all)
- 49 PhD Scholarships at Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy - Mei 24, 2016
- 24 PhD Scholarships at University of Bergamo, Italy - Mei 23, 2016
- 2016/17 PhD program at IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca - Mei 22, 2016